This is one of the best ways to cook Mackerel fish. Kolios Plaki is a traditional Greek baked mackerel recipe that features whole fish baked together with tomatoes, onions, lots of garlic, olive oil, and parsley.
This recipe is super simple and speedy. And the fact that mackerel is a fish that doesn't require any scale removal, makes it so much easier still to prepare.
Another characteristic of this fish is that even though it is considered a fatty fish due to its content of Omega-3 fatty acids its meat feels a bit dry when cooked. And this is why this recipe is one of the best ways to cook mackerel. Because all the succulent tomatoes and plenty of olive oil help to keep it nice and juicy.
Plus the combination of baked onions and ripe tomatoes give a delicious sweetness to the fish. Also, there is plenty of baked, mellow garlic that makes it even tastier.
Ingredients And Baking Time
Kolios Plaki is cooked for about 30-35 minutes. That's all the amount of time it takes to bake. In order to keep the fish and veggies nice and juicy. As for making it... It's super simple. Just lay the fish in a baking dish and top it with onion slices, sliced garlic, chopped fresh parsley, tomato slices, and then lots of extra virgin olive oil on top.
What Can I Serve With Baked Mackerel?
Just some artisan bread for dipping in the delicious juices would be enough. But you can also serve it along with potato fries, or a healthy, herby potato salad like this one.
Baked Mackerel Greek-style (Kolios Plaki)
- 800-850 grams whole Mackerels
- 2 medium-sized (600 grams) ripe tomatoes cut into ¼ inch (½cm) round slices
- 1 medium-sized (260 grams) onion cut into ¼ inch (½cm) round slices
- 5-6 large (35 grams) garlic cloves cut into chunky slices
- 120 grams olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Prepare the fish by removing its guts. Leaving the head attached.
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 392°F.
- Place the fish in a pan that fits it. Season well with kosher salt adding some in its belly as well. Keep in mind that fish requires more salt than meat so season accordingly.
- Place some of the onion slices on top of the fish and lay the remaining ones all around the fish.
- Toss the garlic slices in the pan all around the fish. Sprinkle the parsley all over on top.
- Then top everything with the tomato slices.
- Drizzle the olive oil all over the fish and veggies.
- Season with freshly ground pepper.
- Then pour enough water in the pan so its bottom is completely covered by ½ inch in height (1cm).
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes. Make sure that throughout baking there is still water left in the pan. Otherwise, add a little bit extra.
- Remove from oven and serve drizzled with all the delicious juices from the pan.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...