Maroulosalata (Greek Lettuce Salad) is light, healthy, appetizing, and very simple to make. In Greece, it's mostly served as a side to meat dishes (especially fatty ones such as lamb).
And that's why it's served a lot during Easter. And stands right next to the platter with the lamb on the Easter table. There isn't a healthier salad to serve with red meat that has a strong flavor or feels a bit heavy due to its fat content.
This light and fresh green salad really aids your digestion. And will bring you more appetite instead of making you feel full to your stomach.
These are the basic ingredients you need to make an Authentic Maroulosalata. As well as ingredients you can substitute them for.
- Romaine lettuce. You can use also Frilled Green Lettuce. Avoid using Butterhead lettuce as the salad will turn out soggy.
- Spring onions (scallions). They give freshness and a real appetizing flavor to the salad. Sometimes very thinly sliced red onions are used instead.
- Dill. Fresh dill goes very nicely with lettuce salad. But if you're not a fan of its flavor (like many people are) you can use Spearmint instead or Chervil.
- Extra virgin olive oil. Is a must for this Greek lettuce salad. Combined with red wine vinegar, and lemon zest, for a light and healthy salad dressing.
- Olives. You can serve this salad with a few Green olives or Kalamata olives.
- Cucumber. Try mini cucumbers with skin on, for extra crunch.
- Feta. You can either add some crumbled feta (½ cup) to the salad before mixing. Or serve it on top.
- Greek Yogurt. Add 1-2 teaspoon to the dressing for a creamier texture.
- Garlic. Use either green garlic, the same way as scallions. Or a minced garlic clove to the dressing.
- Tomatoes and avocado. Not very Greek I know, but I recently tried this myself and had to tell you! Chopped tomatoes and avocado are my personal favorite addition. If you like Guacamole don't hesitate to try it. It's so good!
Serve Maroulosalata with meat dishes. Like this Lamb Kleftiko, these Greek-style Baked Pork Chops, Keftedakia (fried meatballs), Greek Burgers And Potatoes.
Maroulosalata (Greek Lettuce Salad)
For The Salad:
- 180 grams (3 cups) finely shredded Romaine lettuce
- 70 grams (¾ cup) thinly sliced Spring onions
- 2 tablespoons dill
- freshly ground pepper
- flaked sea salt
- OPTIONAL: 2 baby cucumbers thin slices
- green olives to serve with
For The Dressing:
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine (or white) vinegar
- ½ lemon zested
- Make the dressing. In a mixing bowl stir to combine the olive oil, vinegar, lemon zest, pepper, and dill.
- Mix the salad. Add the lettuce, onions, and cucumber (if using) to the bowl, toss, and mix together without squeezing the greens too much.
- Serve with the olives on top and sprinkle with the flaked sea salt.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...
Extremely light, refreshing, appetizing, delicious and perfect with tuna as well for a light pick me up! I love to add pepperocini peppers and strips of sun dried tomatoes, feta and lots of sliced kalamata olives to this and serve with toasted pita!! You simply cannot go wrong with such a simple salad.
[email protected] says
All amazing additions Konstantina. I love it!