For The Mousaka Base:
- Heat plenty of frying oil in a frying pan, or use a deep fryer if you own one.
- Slice the potatoes to ½ cm thick slices. In a strainer mix them with a bit of kosher salt.
- Cut off the top and bottom of the aubergines. Peel off lengthwise, 2-3 slices of each aubergines skin . Slice the aubergines to ½ cm thick slices as well.
- Fill a large bowl with water and add the aubergines. Let them soak for at least 10 minutes to release some of their bitterness.
- Deep fry the potatoes, until they get a golden color and a nice crispiness.
- Lay some paper towels on a pan and leave the potatoes to drain the excess oil.
- Strain the aubergines and deep fry them too. Once they have a nice golden brown color, add them to a large plate with some paper towels as well.
For The Bechamel Cream:
- In a medium cooking pot add the sunflower oil and flour. Whisk well.
- Cook over high heat for 2 minutes. (for the flour to get a nice sandy color)
- Reduce Heat to medium and add the milk. Whisk constantly until a thick cream forms .
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat. Let it cool down a bit . About 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the eggs one by one and half of the grated cheese.
- Preheat oven to 482 °F.
- In an 15×11 inch rectangle baking pan lay the potato slices. Press a bit with your hands to make them slightly stick together.
- Next add the aubergine slices exactly the same way.
- Using a skimmer add the mince sauce on top of the aubergines.
- With a ladle start adding the cream on top of the mince. Once you add all the cream smooth it’s surface with a spoon.
- Add the remaining cheese on top .
- Bake for about 30 minutes. Until a golden crust forms at the top of the Mousaka.
- Let it stand for at least 40 minutes before serving.