A scrumptious Greek beef burger with cooked tomato, lettuce, and a spicy feta sauce. Tucked in a soft bread bun that soaks all the juicy flavors. You will never again buy prepackaged patties after trying this SOOO tender and juicy burger patty.
The Burger Patties – Greek ‘Mpiftekia’
Although a burger may not be a traditional Greek dish, burger patties are. We call them ‘Mpiftekia‘ and cook them either grilled or baked in the oven along with potatoes. They’re a Greek favorite and a lot of effort goes into how to make the best. Some say it depends on how well-ground the beef is. What spices you use etc… And even though all these are true, what I believe makes a whole difference is the how juicy the patty is.
To make the juiciest patty, you better avoid using breadcrumbs when cooking it on a pan or grill. This cooking method ensures the patty will keep juicy and adding breadcrumbs can only dry the meat. But if you plan on baking it using breadcrumbs along with water (for extra moisture) will help keep the meat juicy while baking.
What makes these Greek burger patties truly stand out though is the addition of grated tomato and bell pepper. I cannot even begin to describe how much these 2 ingredients enhance the flavor of the patties. They’re a must try!
The Feta Cheese Sauce
As for the sauce, you simply blend these 3 ingredients: feta cheese, Greek yogurt, cayenne pepper or chili powder until you end up with a smooth sauce. This sauce adds even more moisture to the Greek beef burgers.
Less Fat = Healthier Burgers
This Greek Beef Burger is also a healthier one since it has less fat than usual. No bacon, or high-fat cheese. And trust me it tastes so good that you won’t even miss those. You can even make them on a griddler if you wanna skip some extra calories.
For The Patties:
- 600 grams ground lean beef
- ½ ripe tomato grated
- ½ green bell pepper grated
- ½ onion minced
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- a handfull of fresh parsley chopped
For the Spicy Feta Sauce:
- 140 grams soft feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons greek yogurt
- cayene pepper or hot chili powder
For The Burgers:
- 4 burger buns
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 thick round slices of tomato
- frying oil
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the patties until fully combined. Ideally, for a stronger flavor, let mixture rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours before cooking. Divide into 4 round balls. Flatten to 1 cm patties.
- Heat a good splash of frying oil in a non-stick pan, over high heat. Add patties in the pan and reduce heat to medium-high. For a medium-well burger, it takes about 10 minutes on gas /15 minutes on electric.
- Set aside burgers and cook tomato slices in the same pan for 1-2 minutes on each side.
For the Spicy Feta Sauce:
- Mix all ingredients in your blender until smooth.
- For a softer bread bun microwave for 1 minute uncovered.
- Halve the burger buns and add the lettuce, tomato, patty, and spicy feta sauce. Enjoy!