Yellow Split Pea Soup (Vegan, GF, DF)
A healthy and nutritious Yellow Split Pea Soup loaded with veggies, flavored with lemon and Greek saffron. Ready in just 30 minutes!
Servings: 2 -3 people
- 250 grams / 8.8 oz yellow split peas
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- ⅓ leek (mainly the white part) finely chopped
- 1 small spring onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 medium-sized carrot finely diced
- 1 small stick of celery chopped
- 1 large potato peeled and finely diced
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 3-4 threads of Greek saffron (or ½ turmeric powder) you can buy it here
- ½ lemon zest
- 1 lemon juiced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil (+ an extra splash for sauteeing) extra virgin
In a medium-sized cooking pot heat a generous splash of olive oil over high heat.
Add the onion, spring onion, leek, and garlic, and cook until softened.
Pour 1 liter of water and wait until it starts to boil. Then reduce heat to medium and add the yellow split peas, carrot, celery, potato, bay leaf, Greek saffron, and 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer partly covered for approximately 30 minutes. Taste the veggies to see if they're soft enough, if not, cook a few minutes more.
Stir in the lemon zest and juice and cook for 2 minutes more. Ready to serve!
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 621kcal | Carbohydrates: 80g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 40mg | Potassium: 1500mg | Fiber: 26g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 3715IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 5mg