Greek Salad (Horiatiki), is one of the tastiest, healthiest salads. Made with mouthwatering & crisp vegetables. Also, it’s rich in antioxidants due to the extra virgin olive oil and olives!
Unlike other salads, you don’t need to prepare a dressing for it, nor cook anything. Just cut some veggies and mix with some Greek olive oil, top with feta cheese and Kalamata Olives.
Greek Salad Ingredients
Horiatiki, is traditionally made with tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, peppers, olives, feta cheese, olive oil. Horiatiki which translates to village-salad was a humble peasant’s meal that you could make simply by cutting a few vegetables from the garden, serving with some cheese and olive oil, and call it a day.
To make the truly Best Greek Salad ever, all you need is the right ingredients. Extra virgin olive oil, wild Greek oregano, the right feta cheese, and Greek olives are what make a huge difference to the flavor. And of course nice and ripe tomatoes.
Greek Salad Dressing
Now as I said you don’t need to make a dressing for a Greek salad. But the Greek salad will make it for you…Confused? (that’s because I’m still halfway through my morning coffee…)
What I mean is, if you mix all of the ingredients for the salad, at the same time a dressing is created that collects at the bottom of the bowl. Which contains all the Greek salad flavor and it’s THE BEST & ONLY dressing you’ll ever need.
This dressing is so flavorful that it makes this salad a favorite one for bread dipping in Greece. Seriously, it’s like a sin not doing it and wasting all that flavor. Some even make this salad just to dip their bread in!
But if you’re not into bread dipping, than you can save that lovely dressing and use it as a meat marinade.
What To Serve With Greek Salad (other than bread for dipping)
A traditional Greek dip like these →
A main dish such as →
- Traditional Pork Souvlaki
- Greek Oven Baked Sea Bream
- Fresh Roast Sardines
- Greek Scrambled Eggs With Tomato & Feta
Can You keep It In The Fridge?
Sadly, no! Because the veggies that are used in this salad contain a big amount of water that gets released the longer they sit. So keeping this salad for more than an hour tops, will result in a watery dressing and less crisp vegetables with softened texture.
It’s better to let this salad sit for just 15 minutes before serving. That time is just enough for the flavors to blend perfectly together without spoiling the texture of the vegetables.
All in all to make the Best Greek Salad all you have to do is:
1. Pick some nice and ripe tomatoes.
2. Use Greek Ingredients to give Authentic Greek flavor like:
- Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Wild Greek Oregano
- Greek Kalamata Olives (because I love olives I always like to add some green olives too)
3. Mix it well and let sit for 15 minutes.
And that’s all you need really so get some rustic bread and enjoy!
Best Greek Salad
- 2 medium-sized nice and ripe tomatoes
- ½ cucumber
- ½ red onion
- ½ green bell pepper
- 12 olives ( preferably Kalamata or other Greek)
- 10-12 pieces of capers
- 1 block feta cheese about 100 grams / 3.5 oz
- 1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- Cut tomatoes in half. Cut each half into 6 bite-sized pieces. Add to a salad bowl.
- With a vegetable peeler remove half the skin of the cucumber (you may leave as is or remove completely). Cut the cucumber in 4 long sticks lengthwise and then chop to bite-sized pieces. Add to the bowl as well.
- Cut onion and pepper to thin slices and add to the bowl.
- Cut the feta cheese into 1 cm (½ inch) squares and add to the bowl along with the capers & olives.
- Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar. Season with kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, and dried oregano. Mix everything well for about 1-2 minutes (better if you do it with your hands). Ideally, let the salad sit for 15 minutes for the flavors to blend.
- Transfer to 2 small bowls or serve as is along with some grilled bread.