Whenever I go to a Greek Taverna (restaurant) this is one of the dishes I always order as an appetizer. And one of the reasons is because these stuffed red peppers always come to the rescue…
You know when you all read the menu card and can’t decide on the appetizers and everyone says to each other – Ehm what shall we take? –You pick… –No, you pick… That’s when I jump in and say how about the Feta Stuffed Peppers? -Oh, Yes! And that’s agreed by everyone. ALWAYS!
The funny thing is it never occurred to me to actually make these at home. Well, up until now… And you know what? they only take 5 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to bake. Now, how awesome is that?
But what I didn’t tell you is how well it combines with these roasted red peppers, some olive oil, garlic, and oregano and you won’t be able to stop the bread dipping!
How To Make Them
To make these Feta Stuffed Peppers, first, buy a jar of roasted red peppers and drain them from their brine. Then mix some feta cheese in a bowl, along with garlic, olive oil, and oregano and use a fork to make it crumbled and mushy.
–You can always make your own roasted red peppers if you do have some extra time to spare.
If you want to spice things up, you can also add some hot red pepper, or Tobasco sauce, or spicy red pepper flakes. Spiciness goes well with this dish.
I baked these in 2 individual baking dishes I guess I had in mind the Taverna portions and didn’t use a large baking dish or pan. So you go for what works best for you the big dish or the smaller ones.
Greek Oven-Baked Feta Stuffed Peppers
- 4 large roasted red peppers preserved in brine
- 200 grams / 7 oz feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + a bit extra to drizzle on top
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano + a bit extra to drizzle on top
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1/2 small onion cut into very thin slices
- freshly ground pepper
- Optional: hot red pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 392°F.
- Remove the peppers from the jar and drain well.
- In a small mixing bowl add the feta cheese and using a fork, press it to make it crumbled and mushy.
- Add the remaining ingredients in the bowl as well except the onion slices. Mix well with a spoon.
- Stuff each pepper and place either in a small pan or baking dish or in individual baking dishes.
- Add the onion slices on top along with some freshly ground pepper, and drizzle with some extra olive oil and dried oregano.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Remove and serve warm with some chopped parsley and some hot red pepper if you like.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…