Fried Feta Cheese, also known as “Saganaki” is really one of the most delicious things on earth. You are probably familiar with Feta cheese and it’s salty-creamy- flavor (if not then now it’s the ideal time to try it). Imagine this delicious cheese in a crispy fried crust all soft and melting on the inside.
Fried Feta Cheese Makes The Best Saganaki
We all love cheese and especially WARM-MELTING-CHEESE. What makes this cheesy-dish unique, is the type of cheese that is used. Feta cheese has the right saltiness when cooked and makes this fried cheese taste sooo good.
Traditionally served with a squeeze of fresh lemon on top to give an extra tanginess and reduce the ‘oily’ flavor.
If you love Feta Cheese as much as I do then you shouldn’t miss out on these recipes:
- Roasted Greek Potatoes With Feta Cheese And Oregano
- Greek Scrambled Eggs With Feta Cheese And French Fries
- Crispy Feta Cheese Tiropita Rolls
- Feta Cheese Bread Rolls
How Saganaki Is Made
Only 5 ingredients and 5 minutes are all you need in order to make it. Just heat a pan with frying oil, take a block of feta cheese dip it into a beaten egg, coat with flour and fry. Yeap, that simple!
Feta Cheese Saganaki[/caption]
Saganaki is also made with other cheese varieties as well, like Graviera, Kefalograviera, Kaseri, and Kefalotyri.
Saganaki is named after the dish that was used to be made in. A frying pan with two handles. Today it’s made in any type of frying pan and the word “Saganaki” now refers to the baking dish with the two handles that it’s served in.
In Greece, when we say Saganaki we also refer to a food that’s being cooked in a frying pan along with cheese. Like Mussels Saganaki, Shrimp Saganaki or Mushroom Saganaki.
These dishes usually come with tomato sauce as well. That’s why Saganaki is a D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S dish no matter what the basic ingredient is. Fried Feta Cheese Saganaki though beats them all by far.
Soft melting cheese on the inside, and crispy phyllo on the outside. All drizzled with honey and sesame. One of the best sweet & salty combinations ever!
- 1 block of feta cheese about 100-150 grams / 3,5-5oz
- 1 egg
- frying oil
- fresh lemon
- Cover the bottom of a non-stick frying pan (about 2 fingers ) with frying oil.
- Heat over medium-high heat.
- Beat the egg in a wide bowl .
- Dip feta in the egg and then coat with flour.
- Cook in frying oil for aproximately 2 minutes on each side or untill it gets a golden brown color.
- Transfer to papaer towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve by squeezing a few drops of fresh lemon on top.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…