Do you know what’s the best salad dressing you can make? It’s the one that’s made out of the salad itself! The one that collects at the bottom of the bowl, after mixing a salad that is made with juicy vegetables like tomatoes, onions, peppers + ideally with olive, vinegar! And the best and brightest example of this is, of course, a Greek Salad. But it’s also the way this scrumptious Greek Cabbage Salad is made.
In Greek, it’s called Lahano-salata (Lahano= cabbage, salata=salad). And it’s basically a coleslaw salad made with vinegar instead of mayonnaise.
To make it, you need some finely shredded white cabbage (you can use a mix of white and red instead) along with grated carrot, and slices of tomatoes, green bell pepper, and onion. Then season with kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, and dried oregano. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and vinegar and mix well. Then let the salad sit for ideally 1 hour and let the magic happen!
Whenever I make this salad on a bbq night at our restaurant, I usually get asked, about how I make this delicious dressing. And my answer is, well, with no extra effort indeed 😉. Just mix and wait.
That’s really the best part about this Cabbage salad, which makes it ideal for buffet-type gathering situations, the longer it sits, the better it gets!
SERVE IT WITH ⬇
- Grilled Chicken With Yogurt Sauce + Greek Fries
- Chicken Souvlaki (with BEST Greek Yogurt Chicken Marinade!)
- Baked Pork Chops Greek Style
Greek Cabbage Salad – Lahanosalata (vinegar coleslaw)
- ⅓ large white cabbage (about 300 grams / 10.6 oz)
- 1 small tomato
- ½ green bell pepper
- 1 small carrot
- ½ small red onion
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Finely shred the cabbage and place in a bowl. Cut off the tips of the carrot. Peel and discard its outer skin and grate it using a box grater. Place in the bowl.
- Cut off the stem and bottom of the tomato and cut in half. Then cut each half into thin slices. Place in the bowl as well.
- Cut the onion and bell pepper into thin slices as well and place in the bowl with the remaining ingredients.
- Add the dried oregano and season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Drizzle the olive oil and vinegar all over, and then mix the salad very well for 1-2 minutes with your hands. Rub and massage the cabbage to soften it and help the flavors blend together.
- Let the salad sit in the fridge for about 1 hour to marinade, before serving.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…