Sometimes I think people used to know better... Today, in order to make a dessert (or cook anything as a matter of fact) we will probably use a whole cupboard shelf of ingredients. While in the past people could cook miracles with only a handful of ingredients. You know, like that one recipe that your mom or grandmother used to make that's so simple yet so comforting and homey? That's what this Greek Honey Balls recipe is all about. Made with an old-fashioned dough that requires only 5, very basic ingredients, you probably already own.
What Are Loukoumades?
In Greece, we call them Loukoumades which is a word used to describe something very tasty ("loukoumi"). They can also be described as Greek donuts. Deep-fried until crispy on the outside while very soft and fluffy on the inside. They get drizzled with plenty of honey and eaten while they're warm. Greek Loukoumades, have a much more airy texture than the classic donuts. And if you were looking for a dairy-free donuts recipe then here it is.
These Greek honey balls always remind me of two things. One is on rainy days, and the second is our local street festival in the summer. They're my favorite sweet snack on a rainy winter day, so warm and comforting. And on the other hand on a hot summer day like on the 7th of July, when our local street festival is on and you just cannot visit it without buying yourself some of these Greek Donuts. And even though it's so hot, and you complaining that you're full, and cannot eat another one, you already barking on the next one.
Traditionally honey is used as a topping for these Greek donuts. Many people though, (including me) add icing sugar as well to make them even sweeter. And sometimes even walnuts and cinnamon also. They all go nicely together. For their more modern version, some like to top them with a dark chocolate ganache, which I must say is a delicious alternative, but I still prefer them with honey.
With whatever you decide to top them with, I think this Greek Honey Balls Recipe is a must-have in your recipe tin. And that's because it's one you can make at any time, without having to go shopping, it's on a budget and will satisfy your sweet cravings in a very comforting way.
If by any chance you're a honey addict just like me then you should definitely check out my recipe for Traditional Greek Honey Cookies they're simply divine.
Loukoumades - Greek Honey Balls (Easy Homemade Donuts)
For The Dough:
- 500 grams / 17.6 oz all purpose flour
- 500 grams / 17.6 oz lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 9 grams / 0.3 oz dry yeast
For The Topping:
- icing sugar
- ground cinnamon
- walnuts coarsley chopped
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients for the dough.
- Preheat oven to 45°C / 113 °F.
- Cover the bowl with a dampened tea towel and add in the oven.
- Turn off the heat and let the dough rise for about 30-45 minutes. Or leave it until the dough has tripled in size.
- Add plenty of frying oil in a pan and heat over high heat. Fill a glass with cold water and keep aside (use this water to dip your teaspoon in, after each time you're about to take a spoonful of the dough, see next step).
- Grab a handful of the dough, and squeeze it in order for it to get out at the top of your fist. With a teaspoon, scrape the excess dough (about a spoonful of a teaspoon) from the top of your fist and add it to the hot oil. Repeat this process to create as many donuts as you like.
- Cook for a minute or two on each side until they get a deep golden color. Use two forks in order to flip them. NOTE: Make sure they're not overcrowded in the pan.
- Using a skimmer transfer the donuts on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Sprinkle with lots of honey, icing sugar, cinnamon, walnuts, or any other topping of your liking.
- Don't forget to eat them while they're warm otherwise they get spongy when they're cold.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...