It’s The Dessert That Best Complements Any Meal
Who doesn’t love a luscious, full-flavored and refreshing lemon cream? It is really one of the lightest desserts, that you can serve after any meal. It goes perfectly with everything. Especially in Greece, we love fruit-based desserts and most recipes, usually call for that citrus aroma. Whether it’s a cake, cookie or a custard cream.
Citrus zest is a natural essence widely used in earlier years, before the spread of the vanilla essence. And here’s a way to have it at home at all times.
This custard cream is firm enough to be used in various ways and in many different desserts. It’s quick and pretty simple to make. So its a good choice for a QUICK DESSERT on any type of last-minute get-together. Other than the lemons, it’s made with basic ingredients that you usually have at home. Like milk, sugar, eggs, flour, and butter. So you may skip the shopping and prepare this creamy dessert in no time (if you do have lemons at home, in Greece we ALWAYS have some).
What You Can Make With This Delicious Lemon Cream:
- I made mine into glasses with layers of crumbled biscuits (another match made in heaven).
- You can also serve them plain with some whipping cream on top.
- The quantity of cream in this recipe is the right amount, to use as a pie filling.
- Add it on top of a graham cracker-cheesecake base, and top with fresh fruits to make the best, most-refreshing summer dessert.
- 2 lemons zest and juice
- 100 grams sugar
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 400 ml milk
- 50 grams butter
- 100 grams crumbled vanilla biscuits
- Add the lemon zest and juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boiling point over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the sugar.
- Stir till the sugar desolves completely.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg yolks and pour in the milk slowly.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add the flour. Whisk till fully combined.
- Pour the egg-milk mixture into the saucepan. Bring saucepan back to the heat and stir until the cream thickens.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the butter.
- Transfer to small glasses or jars. Add one layer of crumbled biscuits (if you wish to use some) after each layer of cream.