This silky lemon cream is just like a lemon curd that’s made with milk. Its consistency is the same as that of plain yogurt. Not too thick, not too runny.
And if you ask me, one of the best sweet snacks for warmer weather as it’s ultra-refreshing, light, and soo flavorful. Especially if you pair it with fresh strawberries or other fresh fruit (raspberries, cranberries, blueberries).
And unlike a classic lemon curd where you have to use a double boiler, this cream is made on the stovetop using just your cooking pot.
Ingredients You Need To Make A Lemon Cream
The ingredients used to make a lemon cream are the same as the ones used to make a classic custard cream. It is milk, sugar, eggs, butter, cornstarch. Plus plenty of lemon zest and lemon juice to flavor it and turn it into a delicious lemon cream.
How To Make Lemon Cream
First, you have to heat the milk so it’s hot when combined with the remaining ingredients and keep it aside until it is time to use. Then mix the cornstarch with the eggs in a bowl and set aside. Keep in mind that cornstarch tends to sink down and stick at the bottom of the bowl. So give it a good stir just before using.
In a cooking pot heat the lemon juice, lemon zest, and sugar. Cook until sugar dissolves completely. Then slowly, threadlike, pour this mixture into the cornstarch and eggs while stirring the eggs vigorously using a hand whisk. And once you have incorporated it all, transfer everything back to the pot.
Pour the hot milk and stir until cream starts to thicken to the consistency of plain yogurt (don’t expect it to get as thick as a custard). Stir in the butter after taking the pot of the heat, and divide the cream into small serving bowls. Wait until it cools down to room temperature and refrigerate for 4-5 hours before serving.
Lemon Cream (lemon curd with milk)
- 4 lemons zest and juice (about 280 ml juice)
- 250 grams / 8.8 oz sugar
- 4 medium-sized eggs
- 60 grams / 2.1 oz corn starch
- 1 liter milk
- 100 grams / 3.5 oz butter
- In a small mixing bowl add the cornstarch and eggs. Combine them together using a hand whisk.
- Add milk in a sauce pan and heat until steamy hot. Then turn the heat off and set aside.
- Add the lemon zest and juice in a cooking pot along with the sugar and turn the heat on to medium-high. Wait until it starts to simmer and stir until sugar dissolves completely. Then turn the heat off.
- Place the bowl with the cornstarch and egg mixture next to the pot with the heated lemon juice. Add a dampened sponge cloth under the bowl to keep it in place.
- Start pouring the hot lemon juice into the cornstarch and egg mixture very slowly while stirring constantly with a hand whisk. Once you have incorporated it all, transfer everything back into the pot.
- Pour in the hot milk as well and turn the heat on to medium.
- Keep stirring with the hand whisk until cream thickens. Once the consistency of the cream gets to the point that it looks like plain yogurt the cream is ready. Turn the heat off and transfer the cream into small bowls or jars of your preference. Yields about 6 small bowls.
- Let cream reach room temperature and then refrigerate for 4-5 hours before serving.
- Serve with vanilla or cinnamon biscuits, fresh strawberries or other red fruit or keep it simple and serve as is!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…