Greek Lentil Rice - Fakorizo
This earthy flavored lentil rice is full of iron, and protein. Made with only a handful of ingredients, on a budget!Print Pin
Servings: 2 bowls
- 200 grams / 7 oz medium-sized brown lentils
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 130 grams / 4.5 oz parboiled rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1,5 liter of water
- olive oil
- 10-15 pieces of sun-dried tomatoes
- Half fill a cooking pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the lentils and cook for 5 minutes. Drain lentils in a strainer.
- In a cooking pot add a good splash of olive oil and heat over high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened and golden in color.
- Add the 1,5 liters of water and bring to a boil. Add the lentils and reduce heat to medium. Add the bay leaf and cook until lentils get tender and soft. Takes about 30 minutes.
- Add the rice and season with salt and pepper. Simmer until rice is fully cooked and absorbs all the water. Takes about 20-25 minutes. NOTE: depending on the rice and lentil variety as well as each stoves cooking temperature, cooking times may vary. Make sure to keep an eye on in case you may need to add a bit more water and taste to make sure both rice and lentils are cooked and soft before taking off heat.
- Cut the sundried tomatoes to thin strips and either mix in the rice or serve on top.
Tried this recipe?I would love to see! Mention @real_greek_recipes or tag #real_greek_recipes!