One of the things I always miss about summer during wintertime (now you may be thinking about sunny beaches and the sea) but no I mean, yes, those too. But another really great thing that I miss is the ripe and sweet tomatoes you get to enjoy during the warm summer months.
And yes you can buy tomatoes all year round but they're definitely not the same in flavor. Plus it's not the healthiest choice you can make to eat non-seasonal produce.
So this Marinated Tomato Salad is a really great way to enjoy those juicy sweet tomatoes while they are still available. Last time I made Roasted Tomato Sauce which I store in the freezer for later use. The sauce turned out amazing and I would highly recommend trying it out.
As for this Marinated Tomato Salad, it's really really tasty! It's made with onions, garlic, and fresh herbs like parsley and basil, which you can substitute for fresh dill. And it gets marinated together with extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, a tiny bit of red wine vinegar, and kosher salt. And after it gets marinated for about 3 hours you can make it even more amazing. By serving it like I did, over grilled pita bread and topped with crumbled feta cheese.
Or serve as is along with plenty of grilled or not grilled bread for dipping. And enjoy all those gorgeous tomato juices that will get released into the marinade. Another addition to Greek salads which is very popular in Greece is barley rusks. These are added to the salad to absorb all of the juices. And are a very healthy and delicious alternative to plain bread.
Or you could add an ingredient that's more gourmet-y / restaurant-style. And that is a few drops of basil oil (that is if you are a fan of basil) this will give a great kick of flavor.
Marinated Tomato Salad With Herbs
- 500 grams (about 3 medium-sized) tomatoes cut into bite-sized pieces
- 50 grams (⅓ medium-sized) red onion sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil (or ⅔ teaspoon dill instead)
- 1 large clove of garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 + ½ teaspoon lemon juice fresh
- ⅓ teaspoon red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- kosher salt
- Optional: crumbled feta cheese and grilled pita bread to serve with
- Place tomatoes in a large salad or mixing bowl along with the onions and herbs. Season with kosher salt.
- In a small bowl mix together all of the remaining ingredients and then pour over the tomatoes.
- Mix very well with a spoon. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate for 3 hours at room temperature.
- You can serve the salad over grilled pita bread and then add some crumbled feta cheese on top. Or serve as is, along with some bread for dipping!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...