Thick, velvety, naturally sweet, fresh, completely from scratch with no preservatives. That’s what this Tomato-Carrot Soup tastes like!
On the other hand, I don’t have the words to describe how happy I am that it finally rained today! I don’t know how it is where you live in the world. But here, until yesterday it was like the 64th of August.
So I decided to go into some wintery mood (finally) and cook my first soup for the season. This Healthy Tomato-Carrot Soup. That I topped with some Homemade Garlic Croutons I made the other day. And guess what? These darlings are going to go into a lot of soups now that I tasted them.
Bad news= I ate half the jar of croutons before they had the chance to go on top of any dish. Good news= they take only 10 minutes to make!
Ingredients In Tomato-Carrot Soup
All fresh, nothing canned (well except the 2 tablespoons of tomato paste ?). Since I’m a bit obsessed with – cook it from scratch. So, instead of using a vegetable broth for example, I prefer using various fresh veggies to add flavor (plus more vitamins and nutrients than using a store-bought broth).
Vegetables Used → carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, onion, garlic, bell pepper, celery.
Vitamins Gained → Vitamin C, K1, A, B6, E.
To enhance the naturally sweet flavor of this soup there are 2 things you have to do.
- Caramelize the onion. Cook, it until completely soft & golden.
- Caramelize the tomatoes. Add them after the onion is done and wait for them to completely drain and get mushy while you stir occasionally. Then you can add the remaining ingredients!
Caramelizing instead of cooking is what makes a huge difference to the final flavor of the dish. This way, by cooking the food for a bit longer you bring out the natural sugars. Just like it’s done in My Greek Style Fresh Tomato Sauce. Or think of caramelized onions for example (now how long do they take…)
OTHER HEALTHY CLEAN EATING SOUPS TO TRY→
- Fasolatha – White Bean And Tomato Soup
- Lentil Tomato Soup
- Healing Goat Soup With Tomato & Spaghetti
- Revithosoupa – Greek Chickpea Soup
Healthy, Tomato-Carrot Soup
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 5 large ripe tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small green bell pepper stem & seeds removed
- 1 small zucchini
- 4 large carrots peeled
- 1 small stick of celery
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Heat olive oil in a cooking pot over medium heat. Add the onion and caramelize (cook until golden and completely soft).
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they get completely mushy and drain all their juices. Stir occasionally with a wooden spatula.
- Cut remaining vegetables into large chunks and add to the pot as well.
- Cook for about 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once veggies have softened, stir in tomato paste and thyme. Cook for 2 more minutes and then cover with about 2 liters of water.
- Simmer, partially covered for about 1 hour. Or until the water that has remained in the pot, is just enough to slightly cover the vegetables.
- Blend soup using an immersion blender until it gets nice and creamy.
- I love to serve this soup topped with Homemade Garlic Croutons. And sometimes crumbled feta cheese. The combination is to die for!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…