Do you have a favorite snack that makes you say -If I make this I'm going to end up eating it, to the point I'm completely full to my stomach? That's what I say about these zucchini fritters. So instead of making them as an appetizer or snack, I end up making them on days when I haven't planned anything for lunch or dinner so there is plenty of space to bark into those finger-licking good Zucchini Fritters!
Simple & Quick
They’re so quick and easy to make. Only 5 ingredients and 10 minutes are all you need to make them. Just grate the zucchini in a bowl and mix it with the rest of the ingredients. Take a spoonful of the mixture and deep-fry it. Fliping it at least once. Then dry excess oil on paper towels. And there, you have your fritters in no time.
Ingredients In Zucchini Fritters
These traditional Greek Zucchini fritters are made with light green zucchinis, onion, egg, flour, feta cheese, and fresh mint leaves. I can't even begin telling you how well feta cheese goes with zucchinis. A really good example of this is also this Fried Zucchini Blossoms Stuffed With Feta Cheese recipe, as well as this delish and crispy Greek Zucchini Pie With Filo & Feta Cheese.
But another thing that makes me love these fritters is the flavor of the fresh mint. Although there are versions in Greece, that use dill instead which gives a more subtle flavor. And is what my brother prefers (who hates fresh mint and If I could skip the herbs altogether that would be even better still). What is it with men, hating anything that's green and fresh is something I will never understand. But anyways...
How To Make Crispy Fritters
To make perfectly crispy fritters you need to keep in mind these 5 things.
- Use some real olive oil along with another frying oil. Since refined oils, are most of the time mixed with water and you end up half boiling half frying something instead of deep-frying it. So using olive oil which has a higher smoking point than other oils gives crispier results. Using just olive oil would be best but since it's expensive, just go for half and half.
- Don't let the mixture sit + make sure it has sufficient flour. Fry a fritter to test this otherwise incorporate a bit more flour.
- Cook at high temperature on an electric stove or on medium-high on gas.
- Cook in batches. Make sure you give them plenty of space in the pan to cook properly. The more fritters you add the more the temperature will drop leading to soggy fritters.
- Transfer on paper towels to remove excess oil so they won't get soggy.
What To Serve With Zucchini Fritters
Keep it clean and minimal and serve these with some Whipped Feta Cheese Dip, Tzatziki Dip, Greek Salad, or even a traditional Greek Potato & Garlic Dip. If you want to serve them as a snack, then serve them along with a refreshing yogurt dip as in this Greek-style Falalef recipe. Or simply whisk together some cream with a few drops of lemon juice, salt, and pepper until thickened, and then top it with your favorite chopped fresh herb (that's the restaurant-style version of serving fritters).
Crispy Zucchini Fritters Recipe (Kolokithokeftedes)
- 2 light green zucchinis (about 380 grams/ 13.4 oz)
- 120 grams / 4.2 oz Greek feta cheese crumbled
- ½ small red onion minced
- 1 large egg
- 7 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint leaves chopped (can use dill instead)
- salt & pepper
- + olive oil for frying
- In a large bowl grate the zucchinis, using a box grater.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir everything well until you have a nice and thick mixture.
- Cover the bottom of a non-stick frying pan with one finger of olive oil and one finger of frying oil (such as canola). Heat over high heat on an electric stove or medium-high heat on gas.
- Once the oil gets really hot, take a spoonful of the mixture and carefully add it to the hot oil. They don't need to be perfectly round, just toss in as-is to create nice and crispy edges. Add 5-6 fritters at a time and flip them after about 3 minutes. Cook for another 3-4 minutes or until deep golden in color.
- Transfer on paper towels to drain excess oil and proceed on cooking the next batch.
- Serve warm along with your favorite dip!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...